What Is Sterling Silver? Your Ultimate Guide

With pieces of jewelry ranging in price from a few dollars to hundreds of millions of dollars, it’s no surprise that it’s hard to choose between different pieces. In most cases, you want something elegant, durable, and that won’t break your budget.

Sterling silver is one type of jewelry that manages to do all of these things and then some. But what is sterling silver?

Keep reading for a guide that’ll explain all about the different sterling silver basics.

Is Sterling Silver Real Silver?

Much of the confusion surrounding sterling silver comes from people not understanding how it differs from real silver. Although it does contain genuine silver, the difference comes from other materials manufacturers use to make it.

As opposed to real silver, which contains 99.9% silver and .01% of other trace elements, sterling silver is an alloy with around 92.5% silver. The other 7.5% contains a metal. In most cases, this metal is copper, although it can also be nickel or zinc. 

Although sterling silver comes at a much lower price, it’s indistinguishable from regular silver if you maintain it. Like genuine silver, it’s also beautiful and durable. This makes it the perfect option for people who want to appreciate the beauty of silver at a lower price.

What Are Common Sterling Silver Products?

Sterling silver is a flexible material that manufacturers use to construct a number of different products.

Many types of silver dishware, such as utensils, serving trays, and coffee and tea sets are sterling silver. The material is great for kitchen objects as it’s flexible, allowing people to weld it into different shapes. It’s also durable, and often doesn’t show damage.

Manufacturers also use sterling silver to create different types of jewelry pieces, such as necklaces, earrings, and rings. Check out https://www.dreamlandjewelry.com/ to see some different examples of sterling silver jewelry. 

It’s important to note that manufacturers mark genuine sterling silver products with a hallmark at the bottom. Any real sterling silver should have a “925” on it. This signifies that it’s 92.5% silver mixed with a metal. 

How to Keep It Clean

If you’re thinking about buying sterling silver products, it’s important to understand how to maintain them and keep them looking their best. Although sterling silver is durable and can handle you tossing it around, there are some things you should do to protect and clean them.

One of the easiest ways to clean sterling silver products is with a cotton cloth. However, this won’t work with pieces you’ve stored away for long periods of time.

Line a dishpan with tin foil, then fill it with hot water. After that, combine baking soda and salt, and put your pieces in there to soak. 

What Is Sterling Silver? Now You Know

When looking to buy jewelry or other products, there are a number of different materials to choose from. But what is sterling silver? As this guide explains, sterling silver is an excellent, durable material that comes with a much lower price tag than other material types.

If you found this article on sterling silver to be useful, don’t forget to check out some of our other blog posts to find more guides and tips.