Organic gardening is not only good for your health, but also for the environment. Natural fertilizer provides an option for feeding your plants naturally. There is nothing as gratifying as having healthy homegrown vegetables which are healthy to eat.
Organic fertilizer is not only for the plants you eat. It is also good for houseplants, flowers as well as your lawn and herbs. However, you must first understand what organic fertilizer is and how to use it.
To begin with, what is fertilizer? It is actually food for your plants. Fertilizer is a substance that is applied to the garden to feed your plants and crops with the nutrients they need to grow strong and healthy.
Organic fertilizers are made using naturally available ingredients and they boost your plants without causing any harm. In simple terms, organic fertilizers have no artificial chemicals that could wreak havoc in your garden.
What is the Difference between organic and Chemical Fertilizers?
Organic fertilizers are derived from materials that are naturally available. These materials include:
- Kitchen waste
- Animal waste: cow/horse/rabbit dung, chicken/sheep manure
- Sewage sludge
- Industrial waste
- Compost from leaves and other Plant residues
Some of it is made from living organisms such as vegetation.
Chemical fertilizer, on the other hand, is made from synthetic chemicals.
You have the option to buy organic fertilizer or DIY since the materials you need are naturally available and in plenty.
Organic Liquid Fertilizers
Organic liquid fertilizer is made using special technologies to ferment the ingredients. It is a healthy option to chemically derived fertilizers your crops including vegetable, flowers, fruits as well as the grass on your lawn.
It is derived from live micro-organisms as well as other organic materials. Organic fertilizer is rich in nutrients which include the following:
The fertilizer is also loaded with active organic organisms, growth enzymes as well as micro-nutrients which give your plants the strength and nutrients they need to be healthy.
How Do Organic Liquid Fertilizers benefit Your Garden
Organic fertilisers are fast acting and are great for when you have plants that show signs of weakness. They are absorbed fast into the soil meaning that your plants start benefiting right away. Other benefits include the following:
- It brings down the effect of salt in the soil
- Improves the soil with regard to soil properties
- It helps to extend the fertility of the soil
- Aids in neutralising the soil PH
- Reduces attacks from harmful insects thus reducing the need for insecticides
- Builds up root strength
- Avails nutrients to the plants faster
- It is a source of multiple nutrients
- Contains micro-nutrients which drum up yields giving you a bumper harvest
- Builds up the crops’ immune system making them less susceptible to disease
The Making of Organic Liquid Fertilizer
Organic liquid fertilizer is made using materials which are readily available. This makes organic fertilizer the better option for sustainable farming. To see why organic fertilizer is the better option for healthier disease-free plants, let us take a look into how it is made.
What is Needed
- A container
- A stick
The technician ensures that the container has no signs of toxic products such as petroleum and other harmful chemicals. Such products can mess with the good bacteria and microorganisms that are needed for the decomposing process.
As mentioned earlier, all ingredients are naturally available. Thus, this is what goes into your organic liquid fertilizer:
- Manure: this takes up a ⅓ of the fertilizer. The more varieties of animal manure there are, the better the quality. This is a good source of nitrogen.
- Greenvegetation: this consists of grass and leaves all which must be green for sugars and minerals.
- Livingearth and ash: the earth increases the number of microorganisms while ash brings in potassium which helps with soil HP.
- Water: there cannot be liquid without water.
The stick is for stirring the solution.
These are not the only ingredients that can be added to the solution. Other organic ingredients can be added to increase the nutrients. Fish remains, mud from fish ponds as well as remains of small animals are also used. This liquid fertilizer example gives you a great source of nutrients for your plants.