Twenty-nine percent of Americans believe in astrology. And, by the looks of it, you’re one of them.
But there’s one major problem. When you look at your birth chart, you have no idea how to interpret it. Indeed, it’s a page full of symbols and planets and houses — you won’t know what you’re looking at unless you study up.
So, time to brush up on your astrological knowledge to understand the zodiac and how it applies to you. Here are our best tips for reading birth charts.
Generate Your Birth Chart
You can’t get started without having a birth chart in hand. There are plenty of free online generators into which you type your birth date, time, and location. That information will map the stars overhead at the moment your life began.
The more information you have, the more accurate your birth chart will be. So, if you don’t know your birth time, for example, try finding your birth certificate to get it right down to the minute.
Learn the Houses
A birth chart reading revolves around the houses, which start from the left side of the chart, or the west. The sign farthest to the left of the page is your ascendant, also known as your rising sign. It’s the one said to represent the persona you show to the world.
Directly across from the ascendant is the descendant, which shows what you want in a romantic partner. More info on that and other astrological concepts here.
But you’ll start by reading your chart from the ascendant and going across. There are 12 houses to get to know:
- First house, also known as your ascendant
- Second house, which deals with your sense of stability, self-esteem, income and self-worth
- Third house, which governs your way of communicating
- Fourth house, considered the core of the chart, which deals with nurturing, self-care, home and more
- Fifth house, ruling over creativity and self-expression
- Sixth house, which focuses on both mental and physical health
- Seventh house, focused on relationships
- Eighth house, a broader look at sex, bonding, energy and money
- Ninth house, where you focus on your broader thinking and beliefs
- Tenth house, at the top of the chart, centers on the legacy you will leave on the world
- Eleventh house, which looks at your hopes, ideals and future
- Twelfth house, the final house, deals with endings: old age, surrender, etc.
You can learn more about each house here. The more you know, the better you can interpret your chart.
Find Your Sun and Moon, Too
If anyone asks your sign, you tell them the one that represents your birthday — you can easily find that via Google. That’s your sun sign, which tells you more about your outwardly expressed side.
Meanwhile, your moon sign tells you more about who you are on the inside. You can learn more about your emotions and how you express them by pinpointing your moon sign.
These are just as — if not more — important to know than your houses and ascendant.
Go Beyond the Basics in Reading Birth Charts
These steps will help you in reading birth charts. But there’s so much more to know than just what signs you have and where. You want to know how they define you as a person.
That will require you to learn more about each house and sign, and what they mean in each position. With study, though, you’ll learn everything you need to know and have a better understanding of who you are because of it.
Don’t forget to check back with us for more must-know info on the zodiac and more.